In Pain at Your Desk? Find out how to make it go away.
We got another great question from one of our patients recently. “Why am I having pain during the day?” “I have a desk job”
A lot of people underestimate the power of great posture and the advantages it can provide to our lifestyle. This especially holds try if you are tied to your desk having to do computer work for a long period of time.
Technology has been a game changer for society but have wreaked havoc on those who rely on computer work for their jobs. Some people spend hours upon hours at their desk and their bad posture can add up to something serious if not addressed.
Here are 5 tips to help to help you relieve pain and keep it from returning.
- Take a good look at your office chair. Most office chairs have arm rests, adjustable seating and a low back lumbar control feature. Make sure you are using all of these features because your chair is designed to support you.
- Sit up straight and adjust the chair so that it feels comfortable and supportive. Sometimes, depending on how long you are sitting for, even if you are sitting in a good position, it can feel tiring. If this is the case, then try shifting towards the front of your seat with a straight back from time to time. This can sometimes help ease your back muscles and stop you from slouching.
- Stand up and move! This is critical to keep you from getting into bad positions. We all have deadlines to meet but if you take a simple “computer break” every hour will keep you more productive and keep you from fatiguing.
- Get that desk top or lap top at the correct height. There are many commercial work stations available to put you in the correct body position while sitting.
- Think about a Yoga or Pilate’s class. These classes teach you stretching and breathing techniques not only to keep you limber but also reduce stress.
The solution lies not only in putting these actions in place, but also committing to these tips in the long run. It may not be a quick fix but you will be easing your pain in the long-term. This is one of the healthy habits that everyone needs in their working day.
If you are still having difficulties, please do not hesitate to give us a call and we will be more than happy to help you out and get you more comfortable at your work station.